The Visual Interpreting and Communication Service in Shropshire (VISS) is a not-for-profit company providing professional communication services for Deaf, deafblind and hard-of-hearing people living in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin.
As a professional agency, only registered interpreters are used, which guarantees individual professionals have been assessed to:
- be operating at the national standards of competence;
- have professional indemnity insurance;
- hold a current enhanced CRB disclosure;
- adhere to a code of ethics and professional conduct;
- and be subject to a complaints procedure.
VISS began life in 1994 as part of Shropshire Disability Consortium. In 2004 the Consortium dissolved and VISS was then set up as independent not-for-profit company continuing to deliver high quality and professional communication services throughout the county, and sometimes further a field.
VISS has now been providing BSL interpreters (Language Service Professionals) in Shropshire for almost fifteen years and employs two Members of the Register of Sign Language Interpreters, a fulltime bookings coordinator and runs an active user group.